CellarNotes Home
Site Index

Wine News

Taste Progression
Food & Wine
-- Wine with Turkey
-- Wine with Beef
Holding Glasses
Chilling Wine
Serving Temperatures
Open Bottles
Storing Wine
Restaurant Service

Horizontal/Vertical Tasting
When to Decant

Auction Prices- Bordeaux

Auction Prices- California
Auction Prices- Port
Birth Year Wines
Bordeaux Blends
Color of Wine
Cooking Sherry
Corked Wines
Grape Varieties
Grape Statistics
How long to Age Wine
Measures/Conversions
Punts
Phylloxera

Sulphites
Vintage Chart
Vintage Date
Wine Barrels
Wine Bottle Shapes
Wine Bottle Sizes
Wine Colors

Wine Names

Wine by Country
Travel Tips
Focus on France
-- Medoc
-- St. Emilion
-- Pomerol
-- Graves
-- Sauternes


Glossary
Wine Books:
Great Wine Books

Magazines
On-line Merchants
Links for Wine Lovers

About Us

Non-Wine Links to Friends:
 
 
Ranch Irons

 

Copyright DKOP L.L.C.
1999-2016
• All rights reserved.*

..
..

cellarnotes.net
 

Chassagne Montrachet

 

Appellation: Cote de Beaune, Burgundy, France. Chassagne Montrachet Appellation.

Abutting Communes: Located immediately south of Puligny Montrachet and north of Santenay.

Location: Chassagne is one of the larger communes of the Cote d'Or with nearly 1000 acres under vine. This is similar to its neighbor Santenay, smaller than Meursault, but sizably larger than Puligny. Less than 500 people actually live in Chassagne. From the town of Beaune, head south passing through Meursault and Puligny to arrive at Chassagne. This journey should take about 15 minutes by car.

Vineyards: The are about 445 acres under vine of village wines. About 125 acres can be used as Cote de Beaune-Villages appellation. About 400 acres are entitled to Premier Cru and 30 acres entitled to Grand Cru. 70% of the Premier Cru are white, while only 40% of the village wine is white, leaving 60% red. Most of the slope, excellent for Chardonnay, is premier cru. The lower lying land, more suitable for red wine, is village AC. Production averages 53,000 cases of red and 33,000 cases of white for the entire commune.

Grand Cru Vineyards: Le Montrachet (20 acres of which half is in Puligny and half in Chassagne), Batard Montrachet (29 acres of which 14.5 acres are in Chassagne), Criots Batard Montrachet (almost 4 acres totally in Chassagne) totals 3 Grand Cru for the village.

Premier Cru Vineyards: There are total of 52 Premier Cru, but you rarely see most of them, for many have the right to be sold under a more familiar name such as Morgeot. Of the 393 acres entitled to Premier Cru, about 20, 000 cases are red and 35,000 cases are white on average. Some of the principal Premier Crus are: Clos St-Jean, Les Chaumees, Les Vergers, Les Chenevottes, La Maltroie, Les Morgeot, La Boudriotte, Le Champ Gain, Les Caillerets, Les Grand Ruchottes, Blanchot-Dessus.